Thursday, October 11, 2007

Stuck in Saigon

The plane I was supposed to be on was delayed for five hours, which meant that I had to miss my connecting flight to my destination city, thus had to stay a night at Saigon.

Since this was the first time I wasn't in a hurry to go anywhere, I did not think much of it when it happened. If it was in the old days, I would have make a big fuss with the airline company and force them to transfer me on to another flight to take me to my destination without having to stay overnight in Saigon.

There was quite a long wait at the transit area before I could get through the custom because I did not have a visa. I arrived Saigon around 8 p.m but by the time I got to the hotel it was already 11 p.m. Fortunately the hotel was quite nice, a five star hotel. I had a very nice room service dinner but I didn't get much sleep because there was a construction side right outside the window of my room which operated through the night. I almost forgot how it was to live in such a country.

I went out for a walk very early in the morning since I couldn't sleep. The re-arranged flight was around mid morning so I had a couple of hours to take a look around the city.

Since it was rush hour, the street was already full of people and vehicles. The road was overwhelmed by motorcycles which reminds me of the street of Taipei. The sidewalks and buildings looked very similar to any one of the smaller provincial capital cities of China. And of course, the typical littering on the streets that was also common in such cities.

There was a big park just across the street from the hotel. Many people were gathering around in groups doing morning exercise. Aerobics for the young, dancing and slow stretches for the old and badminton for everyone. Many western tourists by chance also joined the group aerobics for a quick morning exercise, quite a sight.

Departure was a bit better than arrival but not without troubles. It seemed that the lack of communication between government departments and public services were a common issue anywhere in the world.

Overall, it was quite a good first time experience for me. I do believe that there are always two sides for everything, the good and the bad. To be able to enjoy the good would make one much happier.

And you, my baby, should get a very good rest whenever you can, even in the hospital! Perhaps, that's the way your body trying to protest to your mind!

No comments: